When faced with what appears to be an insurmountable or overwhelming challenge, I go through the following mental checklist:
- How’d you sleep last night?
- When was the last time you’ve eaten?
- Did you exercise this morning?
- Have you meditated yet today?
And in the process I’ve found, time and again, that problems are rarely external.
The situations I think ‘need to change’ are, 80% of the time, an issue of self-care.
So the next time you’re faced with a feeling of sadness, frustration, confusion, or doubt, try asking yourself:
- Is this an external or internal problem?
- Am I tired, hungry, sedentary, or distracted?
- Could this situation be resolved, or more easily navigated, by first attending to these needs?
Before focusing on what’s external, let’s take care of ourselves.