Ep 13 – Anthony Scriffignano
“If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans”
– Anthony Scriffignano
Anthony Scriffignano is the Chief Data Scientist at Dun & Bradstreet: a publicly traded company that provides commercial data, analytics and insights about businesses through their database of more than 290 million business records worldwide. Most commonly known as D&B, the company was originally founded 176 years ago in the horse-and-buggy days of 1841, and today, is headquartered in Short Hills, NJ, with over $2.5 billion in assets.
Anthony has been at D&B since 2002 and, with over 35 years of experience in information technologies, Big-4 management consulting, and international business, is well-regarded as an international thought-leader in data science.
Today he leads a team of data scientists focused on advancing Dun & Bradstreet’s core capabilities and IP globally. With extensive background in advanced algorithms and linguistics, he holds multiple patents and presents globally on data and technology trends, multilingual challenges in business identity, and artificial intelligence.
In this conversation, we spoke quite a bit about the international lens through which Anthony views his work, covering topics like:
- How foreign language, cultural awareness, and learning to deeply understand people with very different backgrounds than his own has affected his work as a data scientist
- Why “technical expertise is necessary but not sufficient” and how his global perspective (he knows 7 languages & does quite a bit of travel!) has supplemented day-to-day work
- Anthony’s own definition of ‘trust’, how he’s seen it vary across cultures, and how this played out in “acceptance testing” at Dun & Bradstreet
- The bedrock foundations on which he sees the becoming of a data scientist today: People // Process // Technology // Mindset
- How he’s managed to stay focused on the ‘critical few’, rather than the ‘trivial many’ throughout his career, especially in an increasingly distracted world
- Why studying martial arts is the best investment he’s ever made in himself
Enjoy the show!
Show Notes: https://ajgoldstein.com/podcast/ep13/
Anthony’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anthony-scriffignano-ph-d-9165845/
AJ’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/ajgoldstein393/
Listen or Subscribe
You can listen and subscribe to the show at:
…or by searching “Data Journeys” on virtually any podcasting platform
Links from the Episode
- Emic & Edic
- The Observer Effect (Physics)
- Anisotropic Regions (Anisotropy)
- Epidemiology Of The Word Trust
- Deepwork (Book)
- Government Cyber-Security Investigation
- How We Know What Isn’t So (Book)
- Crimson Tide (Film)
- Fat Man & Little Boy (Documentary)
Questions or Suggestions?
Got a question, suggestion, or do you just want to say hi? Let AJ know what you think by sending him a note on Twitter at @ajgoldstein393
And don’t forget to join the mailing list (below) to be notified about new episodes, blog posts, giveaways, etc.