Episode 4 — Kirk Borne
Kirk Borne is the Principal Data Scientist at Booz Allen Hamilton, PhD Astrophysicist, and world-renowned Big Data Influencer. In 2007 he launched the first-ever data science bachelors degree program as a Professor of Computational Science at George Mason University and in 2009 co-created the field of Astroinformatics to support his research.
Since Kirk has been around long-before the field was even called Data Science, we start this conversation by taking a 50-foot helicopter view of the field: where we’ve been over the past decade, where we are now, and how aspiring Data Scientists can prepare for what’s coming next.
Other topics covered include…
- what it means to be “data literate”
- how organizations can promote a “culture of experimentation”
- the data science skills, talents, & aptitudes that have stood the test of time
- Kirk’s thought process behind creating the first data science bachelors degree program at GMU
- changes he would make to the program if he re-created it today
- …. and perhaps most notably: how Kirk was asked to brief the President of the United States on Data Mining after the terrorist attacks of 9/11
Listen or Subscribe
You can find and subscribe to the show at:
… or by searching for “Data Journeys” on virtually any podcasting platform.
Links from the Episode
- Kirk’s (legendary) Twitter
- Kirk’s “Big Data, Small World” TedTalk
- NASA Hubble Telescope
- Kirk’s Rocket-Powered Data Science blog
- Kirk’s “A Growth Hacker’s Journey – at the right place at the right time” article
- The Definitive Q&A For Aspiring Data Scientists
- How to Lie with Statistics by Darrel Huff
- Kirk’s Homepage
- Booz Allen Hamilton
Got a question, suggestion, or do you just want to say hi? Let AJ know what you think by sending him a note on Twitter at @ajgoldstein393
And don’t forget to join the mailing list (below) to be notified about new episodes, blog posts, giveaways, etc.
Enjoy the show!