Episode 9 – Daniela Huppenkothen
“[Standardized testing] looks deceptively useful because it compresses a person to a single number where they can say everyone above is useful and everyone below should be cut… I almost failed my undergraduate statistics class – and I now basically do statistics for astronomy… the big difference [in research] is there’s not a test where someone knows the right answer”. – Daniela Huppenkothen
Daniela Huppenkothen is the Associate Director at the DIRAC Institute of University of Washington, home to a diverse team of researchers in astrophysics and cosmology.
Before arriving at DIRAC, she has studied space & data science as a:
- Moore-Sloan Data Science Fellow of NYU – a multi-dimensional and independent research programs with impact in several scientific domains
- PhD recipient at University of Amsterdam – where she researched high & low energy astrophysics and the relationship between the two communities, namely “magnetar bursts”.
- Blogger of Hackathons, Data Science, and Academia – Daniela takes on a number of issues and shares her wise life lessons along the way.
In this conversation, we cover a wide-range of topics, including:
- The all-too-common (but remarkably important) mix up between astrology and astronomy
- How data science has a place in astronomy, with telescopes more powerful than several hundred iphones
- Frustrations with academia, a lack of validity when it comes to standardized testing, and how one learns to love getting harsh criticism
- How astronomy is an exciting opportunity to build teams who collaborate in unexpected ways, and tie together multiple backgrounds
- How Daniela’s academic outlook developed from open source – without necessarily realizing it in the moment
Enjoy the show!
Show Notes: https://atomic-temporary-136074701.wpcomstaging.com/podcast/ep9/
Daniela’s Website: http://huppenkothen.org/
Daniela’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/daniela-huppenkothen-0b44a97b/
AJ’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/ajgoldstein393/
Listen or Subscribe
You can listen and subscribe to the show at:
…or by searching “Data Journeys” on virtually any podcasting platform
Links from the Episode
- American Astronomical Society
- The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope
- Daniela’s Blog
- AJ’s “Lesson’s From My First Tech Startup”
- Astrohack Week
- Arxiv – Hackweeks
- Imposter Syndrome
Questions or Suggestions?
Got a question, suggestion, or do you just want to say hi? Let AJ know what you think by sending him a note on Twitter at @ajgoldstein393
And don’t forget to join the mailing list (below) to be notified about new episodes, blog posts, giveaways, etc.